- Botswana (177)
- Ghana (528)
- Kenya (1)
- Lesotho (12)
- Namibia (166)
- Rwanda (117)
- South Africa (1,029)
- Tanzania (25)
- Uganda (579)
- Uncategorized (7)
Gertrude Wamala Karugaba
Gertrude Wamala Karugaba’s commercial practice focuses on finance, banking law, equity and debt capital markets, corporate law, commercial agreements and regulatory support. Gertrude acts for local and international financial institutions as well as large corporates, some of which are listed on regional stock exchanges, on a variety of legal, regulatory, compliance and transactional mandates.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda.
- University of Cambridge (Queens College): Master of Laws (Commercial and Corporate Law).
- Makerere University: Bachelor of Laws.
- Law Development Centre: Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (bar qualification).
- Ranked as leading lawyer in Chambers & Partners Global and Legal500.
- Member of the East African Law Society.
- Member of the Uganda Law Society.
Experience has included advising:
- MTN Uganda for its USD150 million initial public offer – the first telecommunications sector public offer in Uganda; the largest ever public offer in the history of the Ugandan capital markets; the first public offer to utilise digital channels (including mobile money) and the largest public offer in Africa in 2021.
- MTN Uganda on all aspects of its USD114 million telecommucations licence renewal.
- Stanbic Bank Uganda (Uganda’s largest bank) and Centenary Bank (Uganda’s largest indigenous bank) on corporate reorganisations by which the banks created a holding company structure (including transferring the banking business undertaking to banking subsidiaries).
- NCBA Group for the horizontal merger of NC Bank and Commercial Bank of Africa (by way of a transfer of business from Commercial Bank of Africa to NC Bank), and the de-licensing and corporate restructuring of Commercial Bank of Africa.
- A leading financial institution for a USD44 million corporate debt refinancing and restructuring.
- dfcu Limited on its USD55 million rights issue and listing of additional shares on the Uganda Securities Exchange.