- Botswana (177)
- Ghana (528)
- Kenya (1)
- Lesotho (12)
- Namibia (166)
- Rwanda (117)
- South Africa (1,029)
- Tanzania (25)
- Uganda (579)
- Uncategorized (7)
Certificate in Mediation and Arbitration, International Law Institute, Washington D.C.
Certificate in Contract Compliance, Monitoring and Dispute Resolution, Institute of Public-Private Partnerships, Washington D.C.
Certificate in International Commercial Transactions, International Law Institute, Washington D.C.
Certificate in Public Enterprise Restructuring and Divestiture, International Law Institute, Washington D.C.
Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Makerere University
Joseph is currently Managing Partner at Kampala Associated Advocates, KAA, one of the leading law firms in Uganda, where he also jointly heads the Litigation Department. The Department has and continues to successfully represent several local and international clients in varied sectors including civil, commercial and contractual claims, telecommunications, oil and gas. His clients include some of the leading businesses in financial services, telecommunications, as well as public bodies and government agencies.
He joined Kampala Associated Advocates in July 2007 having worked as the Director of Civil Litigation at the Attorney General’s Chambers, Uganda Government, for 4 years. Joseph possesses vast experience in civil and commercial litigation, mediation and International commercial arbitration.
Joseph is recognized as one of the best litigation, arbitration and disputes lawyers in Uganda, and is acclaimed in the legal industry for his excellent litigation skills. He has a distinguished practice in civil and commercial litigation, as well as participated in International arbitration at the London Court of International Arbitration, and the ICC Arbitration Chamber. He has successfully handled some of the highest profile constitutional litigation and high value commercial disputes.
Joseph has a vast experience in international litigation including participation in successful litigation in South Africa and France in Commercial and Construction law matters.
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East African Law Society
2018 to date: Managing Partner, Kampala Associated Advocates, Uganda
2007 – 2017 to date: Senior Partner, Kampala Associated Advocates, Uganda.
2003 – 2007: Director for Civil Litigation, Attorney General’s Chambers.
2002 – 2003: Principal State Attorney, Attorney General’s Chambers.
1998 – 2002: Senior State Attorney, Attorney General’s Chambers.
1994 – 1998: State Attorney, Attorney General’s Chambers.
Special Governmental Assignments
2011 to 2019: Board Member, Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets Authority.
- Represented the Electoral Commission and recently the President of Uganda, in Supreme Court Petitions challenging presidential elections, as lead Counsel.
- Represented the leading Telecom operator in Uganda, , since 2007 and have handled multi-million dollar disputes for them. Recently won a Supreme Court extraterritorial interconnection dispute worth millions of dollars. Also represented the Ugandan communications regulator since 2010, and have been its lead lawyer handling its legal work and disputes. Joseph recently successfully represented the UCC in a USD 250 Million dispute involving broadcasting and licensing issues.
- Successfully represented a Ugandan entity in a 40 Million Euro international commercial arbitration matter in Paris and London, and won a USD 16.4 Million award in a litigation dispute in Uganda, on behalf of a mining foreign investor.
- Closely worked with UK firms and Counsel in litigation-related matters in England, including CrownOffice Chambers, Tanfield Chambers, One Essex Court, in a USD as well as firms like Fieldfisher LLP, Edwin Coe Solicitors
- Currently working with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer on a multi-million dollar dispute in Uganda, involving a UK entity.
- Successfully represented a high value client in a USD100 Million complex banking and regulatory dispute at the High Court
- Currently involved in a USD100 Million complex banking and regulatory dispute at the Court of Appeal of Uganda.
- Recently successfully represented a financial services Group in a USD 15 Million dispute involving money remittance operations.
- Represented an oil company in successful multi million dollar dispute against a power generation company.
- Advised and negotiated telecom licence renewal for a major telecom services provider
- Successfully represented various clients in claims against Government in compensation claims.