- Botswana (177)
- Ghana (528)
- Kenya (1)
- Lesotho (12)
- Namibia (166)
- Rwanda (117)
- South Africa (1,029)
- Tanzania (25)
- Uganda (579)
- Uncategorized (7)
THABISO T TAFILA
Thabiso Tafila is the managing partner at Thabiso Tafila Attorneys. He is head of labour relations, criminal and general litigation. He is a highly experienced lawyer in all aspects of litigation, and at all levels from the Magistrate’s Court, High Court through to the Court of Appeals. Thabiso’s general litigation practice includes civil and matrimonial matters. He advises local and international companies, the general public as well as the private sector with legal and practical knowledge of criminal defence, labour law, general and civil litigation, matrimonial and administrative law, company formation, conveyancing and administration of estates. His clients include various NGOs, the Botswana National Productivity Centre, Statistics Botswana, Trade Unions and other organisations.
Thabiso was involved in the establishment of the Attorney General’s office in Francistown. He proceeded to head this office albeit for a short time before transferring to the conveyancing department in Gaborone on promotion.
Thabiso started his career in 1983 as a prosecutor in the Prosecution Division of the Botswana Government. In 1986 he was appointed the acting Registrar of Deeds dealing with all conveyancing matters throughout Botswana. In 1987, Thabiso joined Minchin & Kelly as a professional assistant becoming a partner two years later. After serving Minchin & Kelly for 30 years as a partner, he decided to retire and establish his own practice, Thabiso Tafila Attorneys.
- Bachelor of Law, University of Swaziland (in conjunction with the University of Edinburgh (Scotland), 1983
- Diploma in Trial Advocacy Trainer, School of Law, University of Washington, Seattle, USA, 2011
- Law Society of Botswana
- Attorney of the Courts of Botswana – admitted November 1983
- SASLAW (South African Society for Labour Law)
- Chairperson Casino Control Board (2011 – 2016)
- Chairperson of Botswana Gambling Authority Board (2013 to date)
- Chairperson – Botswana Qualification Authority Appeal’s Committee (2016 to date)
Thabiso Tafila is the chairman of the Botswana Gambling Authority, a body corporate regulating gambling and gaming activities in Botswana. He has also served as legal advisor and board member of the Botswana Savings Bank, a member of the world Savings Bank Organisations.
- Regularly makes donations to SOS and to some underprivileged individuals in the community.
MAJOR CASES HANDLED
- Racewood Investments (Pty) Ltd vs. Attorney General, The Casino Control Board and The Station Commander (Borakanelo Police Station) – Case No. Misca 503/2004.
- Racewood Investments (Pty) Ltd and The Teddy Bear Collector vs. Peermont Global (Botswana) Pty Ltd, Sun International (Botswana) Pty Limited, the Casino Control Board, The Attorney General of the Republic of Botswana – Case No. Misca 300/2005
- Leading defence counsel in the much publicised murder case of John Kalafatis. All four accused soldiers were liberated.
- Legal advisor to the ruling Botswana Democratic Party Disciplinary Committee during 2010.
- Advising Ramantele in the High Court of Botswana in relation to the Ngwaketse customary law inheritance rule in Mmusi and Others v Ramantele and Another.
- Advising in High Court cases on tender irregularities.
- Advising on multi million Pula fraud cases.