- Botswana (177)
- Ghana (528)
- Kenya (1)
- Lesotho (12)
- Namibia (166)
- Rwanda (117)
- South Africa (1,029)
- Tanzania (25)
- Uganda (579)
- Uncategorized (7)
Audax Kameja is a partner in our Dar es Salaam office.
He is a commercial litigation lawyer specialising in intellectual property law and arbitration with a particular specialism in corporate restructuring. He also has experience in company law and general banking and commercial dispute resolution.
He has been involved in a wide range of regulatory matters including local and international arbitration proceedings for public utilities and other facilities built through public-private finance initiatives.
Chambers & Partners cites Audax as “valued for his expertise advising on dispute resolution proceedings, in respect of both commercial and intellectual property matters”. Legal 500 reports clients as saying that “on the contentious side, Audax Kameja has a tremendous reputation, particularly in intellectual property disputes.”
He has an LLM from the University of Glasgow in Scotland and an LLB Hons from the University of Dar es Salaam.
Audax has advised a number of clients in arbitration proceedings, including:
- The Government of Tanzania, together with Hunton and Williams LLP, on contractual regulatory and strategic matters relating to an Independent Power Project, including representing TANESCO in international arbitration proceedings regarding a high profile dispute pertaining to a 100MW power purchase agreement at the International Centre for Settlement of International Disputes (ICSID) in London.
- The Ministry of Works in commercial arbitration proceedings initiated by an Italian construction company in connection with the Bagamoyo road construction project governed by the European Development Fund Rules of Arbitration.
- Dar es Salaam Water Supply and Sewage Authority (DAWASA) in commercial arbitration proceedings in connection with a 10 year water and sewerage lease contract governed by UNCITRAL Rules, initiated by UK company City Water Services Ltd.
- Royal Insurance in local arbitration proceedings regarding a USD 3 million insurance claim.
Audax has also advised on a number of intellectual property and litigation matters, power projects and corporate restructuring transactions. These include advising:
- TANESCO, together with Hunton and Williams LLP, in a case commenced by Independent Power Tanzania Ltd (IPTL) against the Government of Tanzania, in the Southern District of New York, for enforcement of a government guarantee for TANESCO’s performance of its obligations in a power purchase agreement with IPTL.
- A wide variety of clients, including Gapco (Tanzania) Ltd, Oryx Oil Company Ltd, Tanzania Electric Supply Company Ltd, Tanzania International Container Terminal Services Ltd, Eurafrican Bank, Barclays Bank plc and SBC Tanzania Ltd in diverse litigation matters and debt collection.
- The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication scrl in a trade mark dispute involving the mark PAYSWIFT.
- Viacom International Inc. in opposition proceedings against Glitz Entertainment Ltd in a trade mark dispute over the mark UNPLUGGED.
- Shinyanga Emporium (1978) Ltd in trade mark infringement (NEELAM) litigation against Kishan Enterprises Ltd before the High Court as well as before the Registrar of Trade and Service Marks in trade mark cancellation proceedings filed by Seth Industrial Corporation.
- Spice VAS Tanzania Ltd in a copyright infringement dispute against Push Mobile Media Ltd.
- Scotch Whisky Association in a trade mark dispute over McKenzie Royal Whisky.
- Glaxo Group Ltd in a trade mark dispute involving the mark ZANTAC.
- Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) on the establishment of the Kilwa Ammonium Development Project in Tanzania.
- The Bank of Tanzania in relation to the restructuring of the Meridien Biao Bank (Tanzania) Ltd and the subsequent sale of assets.
- Chambers and Partners 2018 ranked Audax in Band 3 for General Business Law: Dispute Resolution.
- Chambers and Partners 2017 ranked Audax in Band 3 for Dispute Resolution.
- Audax’s expertise in General Business Law and Dispute Resolution has been recognised by Chambers Global.
‘Audax Kameja remains one of the most notable practitioners in the Tanzanian disputes market. He is particularly highly regarded for his involvement in both local and international arbitration proceedings, and wins further recognition for his work on IP and tax disputes.’ – Chambers and Partners, 2021
‘Audax Kijana Kameja is lauded for his experience in the field by market insiders, who praise his “very strategic” courtroom abilities. His expertise encompasses a significant range of matters, from contractual disputes to tax litigation.’ – Chambers and Partners, 2020
‘Seasoned litigator Audax Kijana Kameja is highly regarded as a “very good” practitioner. Noted for his expertise in both commercial arbitration and intellectual property law, he has acted for a number of international clients on major cases at the Commercial Court, High Court and Court of Appeal. – Chambers and Partners 2019
‘Audax Kijana Kameja, a partner in the Dar es Salaam office, was one of a number to move from Mkono & Co Advocates in January 2017. He is well known as a litigation lawyer specialising in intellectual property law and arbitration. He has significant dispute resolution experience and has advised clients in major international arbitrations.’ – Chambers and Partners 2018
‘Audax Kijana Kameja recently joined Bowmans alongside several other lawyers formerly from Mkono & Co Advocates. He is recommended by interviewees as “one of the top lawyers in the courts.” Clients say: “He is very hard-working and produces very high-quality work.” He focuses on commercial litigation, including IP litigation, among other areas, as well as arbitration.’ – Chambers and Partners 2017
‘Audax Kameja is very good technically. He has a blend of solid legal knowledge and a practical sense of how to get along in Tanzania’ – Chambers Global